Thursday, September 7, 2023

Interview: Dan Morrow, author of A Heartbeat in Danger

 


Today it is my privilege to interview Dan Morrow, author of A Heartbeat in Danger, a novel about a cheerleader named Stacy with an unexpected pregnancy and an uncertain future.

Dan is a multi-published author, husband, and father, and took time out of his busy schedule to visit and answer a few questions pertaining to his craft and this novel as well.

Dan, welcome. Let's talk for a bit about the beginnings of this journey you are on. 

At what point did you decide to be an author? What was your path to publication?

From an early age, I gained an appreciation for the written word. There was something about how authors would string words and phrases together and come up with a beautiful picture you could see in your mind.

For publishing, I searched online and found a publisher who I hoped would work with me to create something wonderful. While I was satisfied with the result, it wasn’t what I expected. Turns out, a ‘Vanity Press’ isn’t the best approach.


Appreciate your candor and advice. That's been the determination of a lot of people in the industry. There is even a website dedicated to warning writers called WriterBeware. Thankfully I ran across that site before publishing my own works, and published via Amazon KDP, which has worked well for me.

What do you do when a new idea jumps out at you while you’re still working on a book?

Any idea that springs to mind, I immediately have to write it down. If I don’t, chances are good I’ll forget what it was.


I've heard that from a lot of writers. Most carry a notepad or leave one by the bed for ideas that hit at night.

In your book, A Heartbeat in Danger, Stacy Kent, a cheerleader, faces some difficult decisions concerning an unwanted pregnancy. What prompted you to write about this subject?

I had a conversation with our daughter’s best friend. We’ve known her since they were in third grade, and she’s become family. One night when I was taking her to a friend’s house, she was overcome with emotion about being pregnant. All the cliches we’ve heard from frightened young women in this situation came out that night.

As I pondered what she was dealing with, I multiplied her situation by thousands and realized maybe this was a common theme among all girls facing unexpected pregnancies. From that thought, the overview of the book took shape.


Wow. Real life does tend to prompt the best stories, and personal experience, even just in your immediate circle of connections, tends to motivate and give the work compelling force.

Describe your writing process. Do you outline, plot and plan, or is your writing more organic?

Kind of a combination of all of these, really. When an idea comes about, I’ll write down a brief description of the main plot/idea for the book. From there, I’ll begin the framework of what will happen, then who the characters are and what they do. As I’m writing, it’s more a fly by the seat of my pants approach. I like to be as surprised as the reader at what will happen.


What are some books or authors that you would recommend to our readers?

If you’re into Renaissance/Romance genre, investigate Cheyenne Van Langevelde. If you like a somewhat gritty romantic story, check out co-authors Dana Bowen and Chloe Brogan.


If you had a chance to leave one piece of advice to someone who was interested in writing, what would that be?

Somewhere along the way, I heard someone say it best – you need to write.


Direct, and to the point. If you are a writer, write. With all the distractions to be had here online, that's good advice.

Describe your book, A Heartbeat in Danger, in 30 words or less for people who are just learning about it.

It will challenge any preconceived ideas you may have of the issue of unexpected pregnancy. Read with an open mind.


 Is there anything you would like people to take away from your book?

Understand, this issue is more nuanced than we paint it to be. There is more gray area to this matter than we like to admit. It’s easy to shout ‘yes’ or ‘no’ when it’s not you facing uncertainty. But when you or someone you love is caught in the darkness of fear, it becomes complicated. Don’t be so quick to judge someone based on what they do.


What has been the toughest criticism you have received as an author? What has been the best compliment?

Someone who promised to review my book messaged me asking if this was an anti-abortion book. After convincing him to continue reading, he finally gave up, claiming he couldn’t support something that had a message counter to what he believed.

The greatest compliment I’ve received is one word – ‘Wow’. 


What is your favorite line from your book?

“And what is life without persuasion?”


To date, what is your favorite (or most difficult) chapter you have ever written?

The latter part of Chapter 6 in Heartbeat. It speaks to a delicate subject surrounding unexpected pregnancies yet manages to dance in the middle of this confusion. It doesn’t tell you what’s right or wrong.


So, what's next? Are you working on a new novel, and if so, give an elevator pitch or back cover blurb for it. When do you think this will release?

As far as the next release, honestly, I’m not sure I can predict when the next book will come out. I’m not even sure which one of the many ideas I’m working on should be next. I haven’t sorted out the details and this has caused a rather lengthy delay in what’s next.


What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

 Spend time with my family. Being with my wife and two adult children is pure solitude. I find rest in their presence. 


It was really good to connect with you, Dan. For those of you who want to follow Dan, here is his Facebook page and  Linked In. Below I've included a link to his book, A Heartbeat in Danger.


A Heartbeat in Danger


High school cheerleader Stacy Kent dreams of an ideal future with her boyfriend, star halfback Tucker Hamilton. After unexpected tragedy befalls the couple, she is left with a life-altering decision. Surprised to discover she is pregnant and feeling isolated from her divorced parents, Stacy is confronted by a future she never expected. In a misguided attempt at avoiding this responsibility, she is met in her dreams by a stranger, who carefully guides her through an unknown future for her child. Exposed to both beautiful and unsettling glimpses into her child's life, Stacy must reexamine her belief that to remain free of this responsibility is the right one. Forced to watch her child endure hardship and success, Stacy comes to a surprising realization about her own tenuous relationship with her mother. Will she seek to repair the damage done from years of defiance, or will she continue to embrace the unsettled anger between them? Will she allow her child the freedom to discover life on her own or chase her now-hollow, unfulfilled dreams? Whatever the outcome, it will require a level of commitment she is uncertain she can attain.


No comments:

Post a Comment